Error: "Invalid image or unsupported image format"
The error message "Invalid image or unsupported image format" can be sometimes puzzling, especially when the actual image exists and looks good when viewed in a browser.
Here are some of the usual reasons for this and possible solutions:
- Images that actually have errors or simply don't exist in the server. To check if this is the case, just open the image file on a new tab and see if it can be displayed properly. A possible solution is to use a plugin liketo re-upload and replace the images that are broken.
- Sometimes the images are not actually images or they are corrupted. If that's the case, the website returns an HTML file with HTTP code 200 (which means "everything OK") but ShortPixel will fail to optimize. Try to use Enable Media Replace to re-upload and replace those images.
- A firewall that prevents our servers to access your images. Please whitelist our IPs. , in our experience usually this happens when there are some firewall restrictions in Cloudflare.
- Unsupported image formats (e.g. .svg). Remember that ShortPixel Image Optimizer can only optimized JPG, PNG, GIF and PDF files.
- You're using a security plugin that has an option that prevents the images from being properly accessed (e.g. "Long URL strings" option in the iThemes Security plugin).
For other possible reasons, we'd recommend you to take a look at this article: None of my images were optimized, why is that?