I optimized already all the images but then I realized that I didn't select the option to generate WebP or AVIF, what can I do?
Note: We are working on a new feature expected to be included on the next major release of our plugin, which will allow you to generate WebP or AVIF files from your already optimized images, without re-optimizing them again. If you are interested in joining our beta testers list and check how the functionality will work, send us an e-mail.
ShortPixel Image Optimizer can only generate WebP or AVIF files from your images upon optimization. The setting that controls this is located on Settings > ShortPixel > Advanced.
If you already optimized all the images on your website, but you did not select the option "Also create WebP versions of the images" or "Also create AVIF versions of the images" before doing it, then there are a few options available to you:
- If you still have your original images (you used the ShortPixel backup option) then you should restore all your images and re-optimize them again.
- If you do not have the original images for some reason, you should delete all your images metadata and re-optimize them with the Lossless method.
- Go to Media > Bulk ShortPixel.
- Click on "Bulk Delete SP Metadata".
- Go to Settings > ShortPixel and change to Lossless optimization.
- Select "Also create WebP versions of the images" and/or "Also create AVIF versions of the images".
- Bulk optimize all the images once again. Please notice that this will spend additional credits (learn more).
- Go back to Settings > ShortPixel and change to Lossy/Glossy (what you previously had).
An alternative option if you don't have the original images is to give our new ShortPixel Adaptive Images a try,
- Install our new plugin. To learn more about the differences between our two plugins, please read: ShortPixel Adaptive Images vs. ShortPixel Image Optimizer
- Follow these instructions: I already used SPIO for image optimization, what settings should I use with SPAI?
- You're all set!